Friday, March 14, 2008

Fairy Tales Can Come True; It CAN Happen to You!

I am absolutely Enchanted with the wonderful Disney film that captures the essence of what young women in my generation hoped for from life: a handsome prince to love them endearingly and unfailingly! We would fall in love with a look and live happily ever after, and it sounded like such a wonderful life plan that I am still wondering what happened? Why am I still waiting for my prince charming to rescue me from the daily drudge!

Enchanted is at the dollar movie house, so it must be in video, too, and I’ve added it to my purchase list for viewing on my daughter’s absolutely huge screen in the basement media room. It will be such a romantic adventure with the Bose surround sound and a big tub of freshly-popped corn. I will be able to slurp soda and sing along, both of which are not allowed in today’s movie theater. I kept getting the giggles throughout the film, and cringed and groaned when the cockroaches and rats swarmed the apartment to help Giselle with the housekeeping chores, but perhaps it was not as naughty to interact with the film when there were only a half-dozen other patrons, rather than a full house.

I remember when Disney released Cinderella as one of the highlights of my life! I remember being totally awestruck at the beauty, the singing, the costumes, the wonderful creatures of the world who helped to make life a bit easier for the girl destined to become queen. There were other movies based on fairly tales that captured my heart, including The Princess Bride, an all-time favorite, but I guess we always remember our first in a special way.

Today’s women scoff at the “Cinderella Syndrome” of wanting to be the princess who meets and marries Prince Charming, but if I have to choose between that ideal and selling myself for sex to a governor to achieve my career goal, I’ll leave the reality show for those women who choose that path to self-actualization.

Someday, my Prince will come! He may be in a wheelchair and wearing someone else’s teeth by the time he rings my doorbell, but I’m not going to give up the dream that easily.

No comments: