Friday, December 1, 2017

Synchrony

I have a notebook into which I write everything having to do with online buying. I write down people's names, all the numbers they give me, comments I want to remember -- and when I really need it, I don't have Synchrony anywhere in the little spiral bound notebook. Or the other little notebook that I used when I couldn't find my first little notebook.

I order lots of items through Amazon.com. The items ordered go directly to a Synchrony card -- a card I don't have. I've never received a statement from Synchrony, so I have no idea what the card number is, which means I cannot go to their site to receive help. I do get an online message from Synchrony, telling me I have a balance due, but I can't get into the actual site to make a payment.

This month, my bill came in and I want to pay it. In order to pay the bill, I have to know the account number, which I don't know because ... I've never received an actual card from Synchrony. I must have gone online at some point in time with Synchrony because when I went to the help site, it asked me for my user name and id -- which I don't know because I don't remember ever going online with this vendor. And, according to my little notebook, I've never gone online with Synchrony.

The good news is that Michael, who speaks with a decidedly Indian accent, offered to send me a copy of the card so I can contact the help line in the future. He's going to send me a copy of the card I am supposed to already have, rather than a new card with a new number, which is unusual. I would rather use one of my other cards, cards which I use more frequently, but my Amazon account is already set up with the Synchrony option selected (by whom?) for ease in my monthly billing cycle.

If I could just delete my past actions and start fresh, I'd be really happy, but when it comes to dealing with credit/debit cards, you have to play the game, and it's their game, their rules, and their score.

1 comment:

John said...

My guess is you inadvertently set up an Amazon Prime account somewhere along the line. Synchrony bank underwrites that account (and the Amazon credit card). I would very much look into canceling it. This is something that can/will affect your credit rating, as it is basically you having another credit card. If you DON'T have an amazon credit card, or an amazon prime account, someone may have opened that credit card using your info and it may be fraudulent.