Friday, April 20, 2007

A Castle by Any Other Name is Just Butcher Paper

I am creating a castle in my classroom. It’s all along one wall, with a crenulated top, twining vines, a passageway that opens onto a moat (the drawbridge is down), and a knight is taking shape in the opening.

When I first began my project, the students jeered and laughed at me, thinking my wanting a castle in my classroom was the funniest thing they had ever heard. However, as I began to draw the stones, put in the doorway, add the flags flying atop the castle walls, and twine ivy here and there, they suddenly decided … it’s cool!

I’ve had offers of help that did not exist when I began my project, and I’ve joyfully accepted all of them. It may not turn out exactly the way I pictured it at the onset, but it will be a reflection of many willing hands and joyful hearts when it is finished.

The next step is the dragon: after all, what is a castle without a dragon? When my knight crosses the drawbridge, he has to have a quest; hence, the dragon. Fire-breathing dragon, that is.

My plan is to have its head above the white board, his body below it, and his tail curving back across the top, ending at the clock. We will assume that the majority of the body is hidden behind the board, which saves a lot of drawing, cutting, painting, etc. That will be the most excellent finishing touch when it appears!

So far, it’s just butcher paper, construction paper, and elbow grease, but the kids are amazed at how good it actually looks. I’m having fun, they’re coming on board, and lots of new faces are stopping by to check the progress on the castle.
I may get my whole room turned into a castle by June, one wall at a time, if the enthusiasm continues.