Tuesday, May 15, 2007

I'm Floored

To tile or just replace the thrashed carpet with new carpet?

That is the question, and it's a tough question to answer. Part of the answer was supplied when I discovered the tile is no longer available ... so off to the other side of the store to look at carpet, carrying my tile remnant with me to assure a perfect match.

Man, are there a lot of shades of brown! It seemed so obvious to me when I placed carpet next to tile that this one matched/that one didn't match, but when it came close, then it was under the artificial light, outside in natural light, bring it home to see what it looks like in the room. I also had a panel of consultants in the classroom--all the kids who seem to know color and what matches and what doesn't.

The last in a long line of "perfect matches" to my untrained eyes was resoundingly rejected by my panel of picky teen girls. "EEEEEWWWW: that's gross" pretty much told me what they thought.

I hate shopping on my best days, and this got old in a hurry. However, I am embarrassed to have anyone enter my living room in its present condition, so have to "do something" to improve the appearance of the room or become agorophobic.

Well, come to think of it, agorophobia is probably less expensive in the long run than either more tile or replacement carpeting. Hm.

Today, I found "the" carpet. Of course, it's the most expensive carpet I've trotted home to see about how it looks in the environment, and the color, "pigeon," isn't quite as ... inviting ... as the previous "truffle," but it blends with the tile and the landscape beautifully.

I like it; I really like it. This time, I'm not going to ask anyone else what they think.

"Pigeon," for the uninformed, is a soft brown with mauve/pink undertones--just like a pigeon, I guess. You know how they look kinda brown, but there is depth of color underneath? That's my new carpeting.

It's going to be installed Saturday, 14"6" x 23' of pigeon, with new padding and they paid the taxes. Guess business is soft right now as the snowbirds have left for the summer, school is still in session, and gas prices have finally settled at a whopping $3.50 a gallon, which means most of us aren't heading to the malls with such frequency as when gas was even 25 cents a gallon less than its present price. Anyway, I seem to have been given a good deal on an excellent carpeting, nice and dense, just the way I like it under my bare tootsies.

Friday night, empty the room; Saturday night--buyer's bliss or buyer's remorse. It doesn't get much better than this.

1 comment:

Liza said...

The carpet is gorgeous: no remorse from this buyer! I was able to talk the installer into one seam, rather than the large piece with 4 smaller pieces tacked along the edge. it's a long story about how to install carpet without making any sense.

anyway, I clean the couches tomorrow and cover them with new covers to try to keep them clean for company, and this project is check off the to-do list. yeah.