Friday, January 27, 2012

Food + Fast + Friendly-- or NOT

When I walk into a fast-food outlet, I expect okay food, fast service, and friendly personnel behind the counter. Yesterday, I walked into a Jack in the Box with my friend after attending a showing of The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (over the top excellent, by the way) and there were no employees visible. At first, I thought the restaurant was closed, but a group of 4 students came into the lobby, huddled at the corner of the counter for what looked like a group drug deal, and then fumbled their way through ... ordering their food!

This was the first time I have been required to use a kiosk to order, pay for, and then submit my meal order to personnel who only come into view to call the order number when the food is on the delivery tray!! Believe me, it's not an experience I will repeat as I expect PEOPLE to work in a restaurant, not fast food self-service. I was in the restaurant for fully 10 minutes before I had any contact with an employee, reading the menu board behind the counter, waiting to be greeted, finally asking the group of people at the end of the counter if the business was open, and then, when they departed the area, figuring out that the machine they huddled around was not an ATM but the only option I had for ordering my meal.

My initial reaction was to leave, but I already had invested time in the process, so I stumbled my way through ordering my meal and then helped my friend order hers, forgoing the option of extra cheese on her sandwich because that option was not in the kiosk option menu.

Requiring guests to use the ordering kiosk should not take the place of a human greeting. Seeing an employee behind the counter would have given me a clue that there were employees somewhere in the building, rather than wondering if I needed to return later, when someone showed up for work. Especially in a down economy, I question the wisdom of cutting people from the payroll in favor of an ordering kiosk that allows the employees who are on the clock to avoid customer contact, and, thus, avoid providing basic customer service.

I'm scratching Jack in the Box off my list of fast-food stops and sticking with live employees with whom I can ask questions and request accommodations so the food comes reasonably close to the way I like it. If they all go the way of Jack in the Box, I'll stop eating at fast food restaurants. Win-win for me, but I'm not so sure about the Jack in the Box franchisees.

2 comments:

John said...

This is both funny and irritating. You'd think they'd have a sign, or at least 1 worker in the front for special orders, or to help customers use the device.

Although it might result in my food being spit on, I would consider making that a FREQUENT stop each week for my food needs. And I would shout for assistance each time, and add unusual requests that the machine can't help me with. Hold up the entire line until I get some help.

Oh, and I'd look for their 800 number and file a complaint, being specific as to store number/location and the lack of any help at that location, so the company knows. I have a feeling there is supposed to be someone working the front desk.

*resses

Liza said...

Actually, I not only picked up my receit, but 2 others left at other tables (no one to buss tables for lazy patrons) and went on-line to complain after spending a full 10 minutes without seeing an employee in the store. A side benefit is becoming eligible for a $100 gift card to use at Jack in the Box, which would be hilarious.

*wigmo