Friday, April 26, 2013

Street Work

The asphalt pavement has been removed from my street by a huge piece of machinery designed to do that prior to the installation of sewer lines and then sidewalks and curbs. The ground shakes as if we’re having a minor earthquake and the rumble of the powerful engines makes it impossible to hear anything else. What I had not counted on was having my asthma triggered by the removal process.

I have both asthma and chronic bronchial issues that are triggered by certain odors, including both nail polish and polish remover, and most household cleaners and solvents. My cleaning lady uses white vinegar, which not only cleans well, but it does not leave a fragrance behind. I can burn unscented candles, but those with scents have to be selected carefully. Incense is not an option, nor are odors in confined spaces, such as fragrances in my vehicle.

Churning up the asphalt in the removal process must also involve heating it because I have been choking on the odor of heated asphalt since the machinery began its journey down my street. Once the process is completed, there is just dirt left in the roadway, which is fine. Piping is going to be laid before the roads are repaved, and I’m not sure how long the process will take to finish, but I've closed up the house and will make the best of it.

No comments: