Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Same Old/Same Old

As my movie buddy and I left the theater after viewing Son of God, the three ladies ahead of us were sharing their experience with the film. One of them was really disgusted by the fact that there was "nothing new" in the story! Movie Buddy and I guffawed, both leaping to the conclusion that yep, the story is 2000 years old and there's really nothing new in the telling or retelling of the plot: Jesus is born, he lives, he spends 40 days in the wilderness, he's crucificed, he arises on the third day.

My son, when I shared the story of the disappointed movie viewer with him, provided another perspective: the same film was part of a TV series that Mark Burnett and Roma Downey made about The Bible. It appears (I have no personal knowledge) that Burnett and Downey clipped out the relevant parts from The Bible mini-series and turned it into a feature-length film titled Son of God.

With that said, the "nothing new" comment makes a whole lot more sense than expecting a new twist on the same old/same old Jesus story!

No comments: