Saturday, December 6, 2014

Drastic Steps

My body is a foreign creature to which the rest of me is attached. I've mostly been a thin person, but have become a jiggly fat belly hanging over my abdomen all the way to the tops of my legs. It feels awful, it looks awful, and it is awful as I continue to age and become more susceptible to old-timers' diseases and ailments. After realizing that I needed to do something more than just walking the dogs, I started going to the gym with Yucheng and stretching my back, then using the treadmill for a half hour (the limits to my endurance).

Today, I decided I need help with targeting exercises that can address two specific areas: the bloated jelly belly and my lower back. I have absolutely NO flexibility in any movement that I've tried, which will only continue to progress until I'm frozen in a hunched over standing position. I have limited endurance, but I know that will improve once I get a handle on the jelly belly. Last week, I took a exercise class designed for seniors (you know, old people), and was embarassed that I could NOT do most of the movements. Touching my toes used to be easy, but now? It's impossible.

Today, I hired one of the gym trainers to work with me for 10 appointments, an hour each, to develop an individualized program for my body and my low level of fitness. It will progress through the weeks as I learn to do movements correctly (so I don't hurt myself) that are appropriate for specific fitness goals.

Yep, I'm serious about this as I paid as much an hour for a physical fitness trainer as I was paid to teach college classes -- with a Master's degree! I'm not one to spend money foolishly, so I expect to be trained and worked out for the next 10 lessons and then, hopefully, be able to continue with the routine without the aid of the trainer.

No comments: