Wednesday, July 22, 2015

Train Wreck

"The girls" and I went to lunch, then to the movie theater to see Train Wreck, which, from the previews, looked to be a bit naughty, but funny. We each paid our $7.75 and found our seats in the theater, along with other senior citizens out for an afternoon of laughs.

Ten minutes in, I was ready to leave. The language was filthy, not funny, and the emphasis on the sexual nature of the film was dominating. I stayed on, perhaps hoping that it would improve, but then a very naked John Cena had a scene in the bathroom with a towel displayed on his very erect penis, a part I'm sure was played by a stand-in, but that was my tipping point.

I told the girls I was leaving as it was getting worse and nastier, not better and funnier, and they joined me. I went to guest services and told the manager that the movie was filthy and asked for my money back. He apologized and gave each of us our ticket price back in cash, rather than a voucher for another film, which is what this theater has done in the past. He said that he'd heard from co-workers that the movie was totally funny, but I told him it was totally filthy and offensive, neither of which I find funny.

I did admit that maybe it's a generational thing as the scene of an office meeting featured street language and profanity, which I found as offensive as the nudity and commonplace use of obscenities and sexual scenes. But maybe today's younger worker is used to this sort of language used on the job.

All in all, I can say the first 15 minutes are awful and nasty, and based on that limited sampling would caution anyone who thinks about seeing this movie to check for other films that may be less offensive.

No comments: