Sunday, November 15, 2015

Bees

In the midst of the big day Thursday, the gals who were cleaning the yard came to tell me that there were bees in my water meter. Interesting. I wondered what the bees were doing there, but assuming it was making a hive, I called the water department and asked for someone to come check it out.

Today is Sunday and the beekeeper came. Odd to have a beekeeper drop by, but especially on a Sunday, rather than a work day. Whatever. He pried off the lid to the meter box, smoked the bee hive, and then sealed it all back up with caulk and sprayed something to tell the bees it's no longer a friendly lodging place.

He showed me the 5-gallon bucket filled with the bee hive, indicating that the bees have been busy for about 6 months building this sanctuary. He assured me that the bees will leave and not return to the meter box and/or start another hive nearby.

We'll see. I'm lucky this way: if another place on my property seems propitious, the bees will start building another hive.

No comments: