Thursday, July 20, 2017

Errors

I love reading and finish about a book a day – sometimes, 2 books a day, depending on what else is going on. When I find an author whose style is pleasing, I read several of his/her books. Lately, I’ve been astounded at the poor editing displayed in the books I read, from lots of ticky-tacky things to major errors. Here are some of my favorites:

Off of: it’s either off or it’s on, but never of
Towards: there is no s on toward, or backward, or forward
Till: this means to cultivate the ground or to have a money drawer. The “short way” to write until is ‘til, but the word is short enough to use as it is.
Farther/further: if it’s distance, it’s farther; if it means taking an idea to the next level, it’s further.
As of yet: it’s just yet

There are many more examples I could point out, but these are the most commonly misused words I’ve encountered in the past week.

Yeah, I know: I need to get a life!

1 comment:

John said...

https://www.merriam-webster.com/words-at-play/toward-towards-usage

http://grammarist.com/usage/farther-further/

As you can see, these are primarily Americanism brought about over time. Since I've moved to Canada and see British usage more often than American, I've had to come to terms with this.