Thursday, August 2, 2018

Banking Schmanking

Finances are not my strong suit: I usually try to do things simply and carefully because I just don't have the mind that likes figuring out issues involving math.  I have one checking account and one savings account, and I have to balance those each month and keep accurate track of what I'm spending or saving so everything is kosher.  That is enough financial world interaction for me.

Since June 5, my on-line records show that I did no savings account transactions, which I know is not accurate as I paid for my October trip and transferred the money from savings to checking.  I also have a couple of credit card bills for my upcoming August trip, and I did the same thing: pay them out of checking and transfer the money from savings.  Today I decided it was "the" day to go online and figure out why, in the course of the month of July, my savings account grew by $4000+ dollars, rather than depleting by the cost of my two trips and monies spent for them.

I waited on the phone for a full 15 minutes before Darcy came on and then I presented the issue to her very simply:  why can I spend money from my savings account and, rather than losing money, it grows by $4000+.  She went through all of my records and told me that I had zero activity on the account in July, which I know is not the case, and the balance showing on my screen is correct. I disagreed with her assessment, but she was adamant that my records are correct.

And, maybe she's right:  maybe I didn't do any transactions involving my savings account since June 5, but if that's so, how do you explain the extra money?  Isn't that a "transaction" that came from somewhere and appeared in my account?

There comes a time when it's prudent to give up, quit the argument, and end the discussion. Darcy assured me that the records are accurate, so I'll accept that and move on.  No, I won't go hog-wild and spend money I don't have, so I'll leave it as a nice little "egg" in my financial basket.

No comments: