Sunday, June 23, 2019

Updating Cognition

It's been almost a month since I posted about my dementia diagnosis.  At that time, I was still a bit freaked out, but I'm much more mellow now, accepting that it is what it is and deciding how I'm going to go softly into that goodnight down the road.  I'm being proactive and have integrated a few new routines  into my life that seem to be making a difference.

One change has been making sure I am not just present, but that I am leaving the house at least once a day to interact with other people.  This past week, I had my visit with my therapist, lunch and a movie with a dear friend, and I asked another friend if she'd like to go to lunch, which she did, and we had a good time chatting.  I continue to walk the dogs twice a day, and many of the neighbors who know us by sight, but not name, make a point of greeting us.  One day a week I go grocery shopping either at Von's, if it's just groceries, or at WalMart if I need a variety of things not unique to a grocery store.  I am keeping lists so I don't have to remember, and then making sure I stick to the lists when I shop.

My memory game playing has improved and I'm up to Level 30 on Pyramid, which means it's time to find another left-brain activity to engage my brain.  I've done some reading about brain stimulation that says it's important to target both the left and right brain on a daily basis, trying to balance out the amount of stimulation between the two sides of the brain.  I'm using my writing for the right brain, including reading FB posts and responding in a sentence to those that interest me, rather than just clicking "like."  I've connected with many former students and have had "conversations" with them, which has brought back a lot of memories from the past. One piece of information intrigued me when I read about the benefit from coloring as a right brain activity because I've been coloring for the past several months just because it felt good to do that.  Glad to know I was getting some tangible reward for the hours spent.  I'm going to get a book of crossword puzzles to work on as that seems to target both the left and the right brain, and integration is good.

I also did some research online about brain activity and was captured by a Dr. who is at www.vitalitynow.org. He talks about the top 12 foods that fight brain aging and includes both hands-on activities and diet/exercise activities to help keep the brain active.  He sells a product, Youthful Brain, which I bought to add to other specific changes I'm making in my diet/exercise day plans, and I'm monitoring to see if there are any changes I can see/feel/measure.  He recommends N-back testing, which can be found online, and he gives it glowing reviews. He also stresses that there needs to be a balance of both right/left brain stimulation, and that it needs to progress as the brain starts to function better over time.

My goal is to do this one day at a time, not wasting time looking too far ahead and fearing the what if's.  If I keep reminding myself to think, and then actively think about things in my life, I have a better chance at keeping a healthy brain than if I just sit and stew about the what if's.

As an aside, I was interested in learning that both blueberries and apples are super good for a healthy brain.  I wonder if that's why I eat a blueberry muffin every day?  See?  I still have my sense of humor, so all is right with the world.

No comments: