Saturday, January 27, 2007

Oops, I Did It Again

My, my, my: this is so weird! My access to my blog disappears, so I can read it but not post to it, and then--magically--it returns, teasing me with the prospect that the link is repaired.

I've freed up disk space on my computer (unnecessary, according to the computer's analysis); defragged (why is that such a long process?); uninstalled Norton, purchased and installed McAfee; talked to Verizon about the remote possibility it could be the DSL box (I do admire techs who listen and respond civilly to inane questions such as mine). Unplugged, plugged, and rebooted far too many times to count.

I've been to the help chatroom and learned that many, many bloggers are having huge issues since the beta test blog went gold: I thought gold didn't tarnish, but evidently calling something gold doesn't make it gold. Of course, everyone suggests that you follow all of the steps on the help page, which I did the first 3 times I tried to "fix" the problem. That's when I began layering on all the other suggestions, including replacing Norton with McAfee, which has been suggested as a better safe guard for unwanted computer access via the internet. I erased my history, deleted cookies, changed my security settings to the default--oh, the list goes on and on.

When all is said and done, my students are blogging, and I'm able to read and respond to their postings, as well as other blogs to which I subscribe, but am locked out of my own blog.

Why can I access it today, but not last night? Is the link repaired, or will this be the last I see of yet another new blog? What happens if I find the other copy of Mental Gymnastics and delete it? Will I lose both copies, or just the one that has no content. Should I just go for it, or tread cautiously?

Stay tuned ...

1 comment:

Liza said...

Yep--I'm no longer able to access the blogger dashboard to make posts! This is so beyond annoying.