Wednesday, February 27, 2008

My Turn

If class weren’t canceled next week for in-service, I would have stayed home tonight, but it’s a challenge to get back on track with one forced canceled class: to have 2 in a row would be difficult to overcome. Thus, I drove up the hill, sneezing, sniffling, coughing, blowing—and feeling like crap.

Of course, I looked lovely, too, with the rosy raccoon mask caused by the abrasions from the box of Puffs facial tissue I have dragged across my face for the past several days. The bloodshot, swollen eyes are such a striking accessory for any bloated, scratched red face so typical of the advanced stages of a cold.

I did stop at the pharmacy and pick up several otc remedies, but 2 hours after gulping the capsules, all the symptoms came roaring back. I excused myself, took more of the miracle cure, and returned to class to make the heroic effort to see the bitter end of the night. When students finished the in-class assignment 15 minutes early, I was delighted!

Thankfully, it’s easier to drive the 45 miles home with the cold symptoms than it is to teach a class, so I made the driveway without incident. Upon entering the living room, I began stripping off my sweat-dampened work clothes, preferring a quick rinse and the flannel jammies. I ate yet another in the endless cans of chicken-flavored soups varieties that I keep on hand, then thawed a strip steak and added it to my system as I’ve pretty much only had soup since last Saturday morning!

I don’t feel better, but at least I’m in the privacy of my own home, rather than standing before 15 students who now have to worry about getting what the teacher has. Of course, last week it was several of them coughing and sneezing on me, so it was simply a matter of time before it was my turn at the cold.

I am so hoping that I feel one thousand percent better before journeying back up the hill for tomorrow’s class …

Addendum: Never Saw This Coming

After basically sleeping for 3 days and nights with nary a twitch, I found myself wide awake after returning from class and still unable to fall asleep at 3 AM. This will add another layer of coping to what already was going to be a long day all on its own.

No comments: