Monday, February 25, 2008

When it comes to Oscars, I'm a grouch

Friday night began with sniffles, sneezing, and a scratchy throat; by yesterday, I hunkered down in my comfy bed with a box of tissues, a bottle of cough syrup, and the daytime so you can sleep medicine. Thank God another CSI marathon afforded me the opportunity to sleep off and on, even though I had not seen many of the shows included in this monthly marathon and will now have to watch next month to see what I missed. I guess the good news is that there is always another CSI marathon!

However, I woke up slightly for the Oscar celebration, but no matter how well it’s presented, it’s basically a boring couple of hours and I found myself drifting in and out of lucidity.

This year, the tedium of the red carpet fashion parade was spiced up with Gary Busey’s weird appearance. Is the man suffering from mental issues or preparing for a comeback role?

I can’t tell you how tired I am hearing about this baby bump and that baby bump, usually accompanied with the cooing of the mommy glow comment. I don't find pregnant women attractice--at all--whether fully dressed or displaying their naked swollen abdomens on the covers of magazines or in movies. The false front worn in Juno was totally offensive, especially when exposed in public places.

Cameron Diaz looked as if she had forgotten it was Oscar’s big night and had to pull together a quick ponytail to dress up her totally drab appearance. Didn't work; next time, book a hair appointment.

My least favorite gown of the night was worn by Cody Diablo, and it looked much worse when she made the trophy walk from her seat in the audience to the podium. I’m guessing she didn’t do a dress check in the privacy of her own home to see how she looked in motion as that dress had no flow, but did have a serious privacy issue. And the shoulder tat was not an attractive accessory: the colors didn’t match the gown.

Helen Mirrin wore the prune face with élan, but I’m not sure why she looked so pinched—or is that pissed? She played a queen, but her appearance last night suggested that she wants to be the queen.

Stand-out moments for me were the 80 years of Oscar presentations, including the best picture winners and various performers.

I’m not sure why we have to listen to the long version of the song nominees: we aren’t subjected to watching each of the movies in toto before the recipient is announced, so couldn't we have a clip of the songs?

The tribute to those who have passed to their eternal reward is poignant, but I’d like someone to read or say something inspirational as part of that, rather than simply flashing photos onto a screen. The captions were a challenge to read as the font was too small and the print in black and white, so I’m not sure who most of the honorees were during that segment.

Jon Stewart thinks he’s funnier than I find him to be, so he had no trouble keeping a brilliant smile on his face, but he showed his sensitive side when he brought back the young woman who co-wrote the winning song so she could offer her thanks, which were heartfelt and genuine. That was a shining moment, of which there should be more.

Other than those moments from my place in the sheets, the Oscars were okay, but I could have watched a couple more episodes of CSI and probably been more entertained.

No comments: