Friday, June 12, 2009

Time and Space

Last week was pretty darned awful, so I accepted a long-standing invitation from a friend to visit her new home in Minden, NV. I hemmed and hawed because I didn't know what to do with Mia: we'd never been on a long road trip before and I was apprehensive about traveling with her. My friend, however, has a horse ranch and she cut to the chase: she's a dog; she'll ride where you put her. Sometimes, I just need that simplicity to move to the next step, so I rigged up a platform in the bed of the truck, set her up with her favorite shaggy rug and her dirtiest, smelliest pillow, added a box of dog food, and pulled out of the driveway for the 500-mile trip to Minden, NV. Directions: find 395, follow it until you come to our road.

The Walker River runs along 395 for a while, creating a restful, scenic drive.

Mia stood most of the way there, and I stopped about every 2 hours and took photos while she peed. On the way back, however, Mia crashed on her floor pillow, waking only when I stopped for her to pee and stretch her legs a bit.

The majestic Sierra Nevada mountains: east side.

On the drive up, I stopped in Lone Pine at the Film Museum, which I enjoyed. Once I arrived at my destination, we visited both Carson City and Virginia City, major tourist attractions, as well as Genoa, which is a tiny hamlet across the valley that hosts a Candy Dance my friend is involved with annually. The entire area is gorgeous, but very cold in the winter and becoming much too populated to please the "locals," who prefer a bit more small town isolation. Lake Tahoe is just over the peak of the mountain directly across the valley from my friend's home, but we didn't go there/do that.

The mural on the wall of the Film Museum in Lone Pine.

My friend has a rescued mustang that used to run wild in the Virginia City surrounds. It's not a big horse, but it's a sturdy horse, and it leaned through the fence to nuzzle Mia's nose at one point during our visit. I enjoyed watching the Squeeze deliver 2 blocks of hay (translation: there's a machine that delivered about 4 tons of hay off a double 18-wheeler. It looked like a forklift, but it's designed to squeeze the hay bales, lift them, and set them down where the owner wants them).

A formerly wild mustang, one of the 4 horses on the ranch.

My friend's dogs played with Mia ; however, the 3 cats were another story. Mia does NOT like cats, so she took out after them every chance she had. No one objected to the chase when the cats were outside, but when they were in the master bedroom, that was another issue. Mia actually slept in the room with me, door closed, and it was no problem. I guess she really will do what I tell her to do ... .

Sammy, Jay-R, and Mia try to pose for a photo, but they had a short attention span.

In addition to all the touristing we did, my friends took me to a Basque restaurant in the area for an incredible dining treat. I ordered the lamb chops and received a 5-course meal! The owners serve the meal they prepare; the diners specify which meat they want and enjoy whatever comes with it.

The Basque wagon at the museum in Carson City sparked the trip to the Basque restaurant for a memorable meal.

This was a good trip; it cleared my mind of the issues knocking around in there, showed me some things I hadn't seen in a long time, and tickled my funny bone when the big horse, Gambler, nuzzled my neck for about 5 minutes! My friend's husband made a ramp so Mia could get in and out of the back of the truck as she's too heavy for me to lift (she has hip dysplacia), which made both the trip back home, as well as future trips, much more do-able.

Doing the tourist thing in Virginia City, NV

We laughed ourselves silly after going into an antique shop in Virginia City and coming face-to-face with a plastic surgery nightmare: every square inch of the owner's face and body have been "done," and it isn't pretty! Her lips were so lipo'd that she had difficulty speaking clearly. When we saw the painting of a woman whose gown is made in silver dollars, we all agreed that the saleswoman must have been trying for the same look!

The Silver Queen's dress contains 3,261 silver dollars, which is eye-catching, but her huge, bulging lips have to be seen to be believed!

I helped feed horses and chickens, played with the dogs, enjoyed being a tourist and a houseguest, and volunteered to house-sit next summer. I needed the time and the space this year and am happy to repay the favor so they can enjoy their vacation next year.

I had such a great time!

1 comment:

John said...

Sounds like a good vacation. And that woman in the last picture looks happy and relaxed... probably what she needed after the stress of the previous week.

Good for you.