Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Tribulation

I did watch the Jackson memorial service, a beautiful tribute to a person about whom I am ambivalent. As an entertainer, outstanding; as a humanitarian, apparently a Guinness Book of World Records setter; but as a role model for young people, I'm not so sure that he's the one I want my children/grandchildren to emulate. Lots of dysfunction swirling within one person's lifetime, the tip of which we saw in his cosmetic mutilation.

The memorial service was emotionally touching, with friends, family, notables eulogizing a man with whom they shared special experiences. I didn't know that Kobe Bryant and Magic Johnson had such close, personal relationships with Michael, but Magic spoke about him from the heart, as did so many others standing at the podium. Brooke Shields could hardly read her prepared comments, her anguish palpable as she recalled a youthful friendship that apparently suffered from the public's perception about the pairing. The children of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr did their parents proud with the strength of the words and the depth of a tribute that came directly from the writings/teachings of their father.

I'll admit that the tears flowed freely when Jermaine sang "Smile" in front of his brother's coffin. I have no idea how he made it through the song, but it sure would have been nice had the other brothers Jackson joined him. I didn't expect a Jackson Family reunion concert, but that performance could have used some sibling support on the stage as that has to be the toughest gig ever.

I hope that Rev. Sharpton is in the vicinity when Christ comes again because He'll be bringing Michael with him and Al will want the pat on the back he earned for today's stirring sermon. Sharpton pretty much enthroned Jackson with the Trinity, regardless of your religious preference, and he totally moved him to the front of the Civil Rights Movement, leading (spiritually speaking) Rev. King across that color blind abyss in heaven. After hearing about the incredible advances to breaking down the racial barriers in this country attributed to Michael Jackson, I felt sorry that King was such a slacker. However, the blending of eulogies and musical tributes kept a balance that allowed viewers to appreciate the talent no matter how they felt about the man behind the performance.

There were a few things that caught my sometimes wandering attention, such as the news reader who repeatedly referred to the "hurst" carrying Michael's remains to Staples Center. One of the musical tributes was a song with words I tried to catch a couple of times, but the best I can come up with is "krispy and creme me," strange lyrics indeed. Jennifer Hudson looks totally pregnant, showing about a third trimester baby bump hidden behind a dress that resembled a very large, frilly, white Sunday dinner tablecloth. Is it just my reaction or is Stevie Wonder one of the worst singers ever? I had to mute him before he finished his performance as it was excruciating. And, pardon my ignorance, but I thought John Mayer's claim to fame is that he dated Jennifer Aniston. Imagine my surprise to see him stand by himself on the stage and play a really old, crummy-looking electric guitar that seemed much too small for a man. I kept asking myself not only who is he, but why is he playing the guitar? Was he once in a music vid with Michael? The dots didn't connect for me.

Now that the memorial service has concluded, we can turn our attention to a new American pastime: where's Michael? No one seems to know where the body is buried, but if I had to make a guess, I'm going for he was buried at Forest Lawn this morning. A very expensive, ornate casket showed up for the public performance, but it is quite common for high-profile remains to be buried quietly while the ornate casket creates a distraction. Is he at the Encino family compound? Is he in storage somewhere waiting for a special dispensation that will allow a burial at Neverland?

Is it time for all of us to move on?

No comments: