Friday, November 5, 2010

A Kneed to Know?

It took me 2 months to write the letter to the first ortho surgeon, but I finally finished it and sent it to him and the CEO of the hospital for which he works. Just wanted to provide him with information that he could consider the next time he blows off a patient who repeatedly tries to provide him with specific information to help him accurately diagnose a medical issue. I knew there would be blow-back, but when weighed against the unremitting pain, as well as other developing side effects, I needed to send the letter.

Today, the phone rang. Calling was an office worker from the first surgeon's practice. He tried to contact the MRI provider, but could not substantiate that I had an updated MRI, from which I quoted in the letter, the first of September. I assured him that I did, but told him that I have another surgeon, a new treatment plan, and am scheduling another surgery to repair the torn meniscus. He informed me that he was going to call the MRI provider back, so I called the office to forestall the first ortho surgeon from unauthorized access of that information.

Yep, it's true: the office staff there cannot find the second MRI. I told her that I'm holding it in my hand, gave her the date, my name spelled correctly, and the MRI number -- but she cannot locate it in their records. Well, I told her, that's okay I guess, but just in case you do find it, I do NOT give permission to the former surgeon to access those records. He didn't read the first MRI I brought with me, so why would he want to read the updated one that I had after leaving his practice?

My goal is to have the surgery, get back on both feet and hope that my left hip responds positively to the lack of limp, and then move on with my life. There is no going back, no redoing the last year of my life, so it's wasted energy to be stuck there. I have copies of both the first and the updated MRI; I know that my injury was not treated properly, but I am confident that my new doctor is doing what it takes to change that outcome.

1 comment:

John said...

How can you have a copy and they don't? *shakes head

*sivigie