Friday, May 27, 2011

A Miss is as Good as a Mile

I love my backyard and enjoy spending time outside when (a) the wind isn't howling and (2) the sun is not directly overhead. Each year, I do a clean-up that includes painting some of the outdoor furniture and adding other pieces. This year, I wanted to add a "coffee table" in front of the wrought iron bench, but could not find what I wanted in one piece, so settled for 2 small matching tables. I checked the box for assembly, saw the "no tools required," and figured why pay the big box store clerk $10 per table to snap something together?

Great plan; poor execution. The directions are ... a snap: cross the two sets of legs, snap them into the leg receptacle, right table, and use. Done, done, and cannot do!!
Legs crossed, in position, two sides into the receptacles, two more to go. How hard can it be to push the other two legs into the plastic leg receptacles? Very, very hard because there is no "give" in the legs: none. Additionally, the plastic leg receptacles don't come out of the tracks or move past the curve of the design. Two legs in, but two that won't go in one way or another!!

As this photo makes clear, the legs are a full 1-1/2" longer than the inside rim of the table. Not only do the legs have to be inside the rim, but they also have to pull back far enough to slide into the plastic receptacles. Ain't gonna happen no way!! I have read the easy-to-follow picture directions and even done the stupid "maybe if I exchange the identical legs" routine, but the legs are too long to fit behind the rim and into the plastic receptacle. It looks so simple, but it defies my ability to complete the snap together process.

So, now what do I do? Do I drive all the way back across the freeway to the big box store, find a friendly clerk, and then pay him/her $10 each to push the legs into the receptacles? The positive outcome of this plan is that if the clerk snaps the glass top, s/he replaces it; the negative is, of course, that the tables were already twice as much as I wanted to pay, so adding another $20 makes this a foolish purchase.

2 comments:

John said...

Try putting the legs on the top first, and then snapping the center piece between the legs together.

*dojer

Liza said...

I've had 2 different people stop by to see if they could make the legs snap into place under the glass top. We all can get one of the two sides of each leg into the track, but none of us can get the opposite side into its track.

If the winds ever die down and the roads reopen, I'm going to take the 2 tables back to the store for a refund.