Thursday, May 5, 2011

Disability Diversion

During my time on the couch, I've been trying to use up some of the yarn stash that has been accumulating during the past decade. Some women buy shoes, but I either buy cars or yarn, especially when either is on sale. I ordered the yarn by color into individual boxes that make quite a stack in the guest room closet. Slowly, but surely, the boxes are emptying, and I've been much, much better about not making new purchases because I finally realized that I will never live long enough to use up what's already here, much less additional yarn.

After far too many scarves, hats, and fingerless gloves have been made and given away, I decided to make a unique afghan for each of my youngest brother's children -- all 5 of them. When my brother turned 50, I presented him with the first of the left-over project, a huge, huge granny square afghan that weighed a ton, but did actually fit his king-sized bed. After it was finished, I liked it, but I have often wondered how the heck to toss it in the washing machine, as I do with all my other creations. Daisy's blankie goes in once a week, Mia's sometimes twice a week, and the shared afghan on the couch chaise is changed with the seasons. I mix them with smaller items so the tub won't go wonky, which works well.

Anyhoo, I made one granny square afghan in colorful mixed squares bordered in black, then another granny square afghan bordered in white, and then a knit concoction also bordered in white, and now am half-way through a crocheted striped blanket alternating white, yellow and blue bands with some fuzzy yarn thrown in for texture. The final afghan is going to be for the only son, khaki background with 3 squares traveling up the body: one red, one white, and one blue for his tenure at the CA Maritime Academy.

I may call it quits when I finish this disability diversion and find somewhere to donate what's left in the boxes. While I've enjoyed keeping busy, and I like to create original designs for the person I have in mind for the finished project, I'm tired of being on the couch. My knees and my back are not going to get better because I did not receive either adequate or appropriate care at the time I needed it. I cannot change the past, but I am going to have to live with the after-effects of it, so that's what I'm going to do. And I'm not going to do it on the couch!

I'm not going to continue to create projects to take my mind off how pissed off I am at being treated badly by the medical profession. It's time for all of this to get behind me, and the best way for that to happen is for ME to move on and not take the boxes of yarn with me!!

No comments: