Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Early Bird

Perhaps Daisy is just preparing for T’giving dinner or maybe she’s suffering from Post Traumatic Dog Attack Syndrome, but she caught, killed, and brought into the living room one of the doves that frequents the backyard bird bath. I don’t like to think of my little girl being so aggressive, but she did turn on the attacking German Shepherd when it took down Mia. She’s no shrinking violet about defending her people and her territory, although I don't see the yard doves as enemies, but a beautiful part of the landscape.

After I removed the bird and cleaned up the mess, Daisy and Mia went outside to bask in the sunshine. I’ve kept Mia’s E-collar snugly fastened around her neck to protect the stitches and the drains until her return appointment Friday, so didn’t think too much about it when the two dogs cuddled together and Daisy began grooming Mia. Imagine my surprise when Mia came back in minus every one of the stitches! Somehow, she must have talked Daisy into pulling out the stitches; thankfully, the drains are still in place.

I cleaned the wound site and it is healing just fine, even without the stitches. We’re going to take our first walk this morning since the attack, but we’ll make it a short walk and not take any of the routes we know are populated with wandering dogs – which is challenging in a neighborhood where far too many dogs have been left behind when the residents abandoned their homes.

Nope: no call-back from Animal Control. I guess the residents were more convincing in telling lies than I was in telling the truth.

No comments: