Saturday, March 17, 2012

My 10-Day Cruise in 6 Days

It's pouring rain outside and I'm making mac 'n cheese from scratch because I'm pissed off about my cruise and want comfort food. I cannot believe all the people who tell me how wonderful this cruise is, and that cruise is, and how they always book at least 2 cruises each year because it's such fun. If I had a way out of this one, I'd be staying home in May.

When a cruise ad sounds too good to be true, it is, but the truth fails to seep out until after the balance due is paid 60 days in advance of departure, a date that came one week ago. So far, my 10-day cruise to Greece (at a great initial price of only $1999) has cost me $3000 and dwindled to 6 days. I knew there would be adjustments for fuel and other travel costs, but … that additional $200 is merely the crown in the jewel of sparkling cruises gotchas.

We leave LAX on May 8 – at 9 pm, so the “first day” of our 10-day cruise package is really only 3 hours. We land in Athens at 11 pm on May 9, which is the second day of our 10-day cruise gone poof into the ether. On Day 3, we sight-see in Athens, then board the cruise ship on Day 4 for our first actual cruise. Days 5-6-7-8 are spent sightseeing in the Aegean Sea (at an additional expense to leave the ship for each of the excursions) and steaming back into Athens for the flight home, arriving at LAX on Day 10 at 7 pm. I’m basically ignorant about these kinds of travel events, so I really thought I’d be cruising for 10 days! Imagine my disappointment to discover that a total of 4 days are lost to travel and time changes.

Adding to the price, I have to pay for a shuttle to take me to the airport (currently $40) and back home (another $40 or whatever it will be 7 weeks from now), as well as for all of the exciting excursions planned by my tour company. I also have to pay a “gratuity” set by the cruise line for the staff who are hired to clean the rooms and serve the meals! In 35 years as a classroom teacher, no one has EVER paid me a penny above my salary to do the job for which I was hired, but it’s “expected” that cruise staff, as well as hotel staff for the time we are in Athens and the tour guides provided by the cruise line, are paid extra -- and we are provided with a chart that tells exactly how much to pay and to whom. The charges are significant enough that we are encouraged to use a credit card to pay them!

My $2000 cruise is going to finish off right at $4000, an increase I never saw coming. IF I ever decide to take another trip, I doubt that I will sign on for any “good deal” offered by any travel agency that specializes in affordable cruises for seniors. And I’ll never choose the local company with the outstanding reputation for "adult customized tours" as my experience with the President of the company has been disappointing. I don’t know him at all, but if he can accuse me of being “skittish” because I asked about canceling my reservation, I can charge him with arrogance! Can’t wait to meet him in person at our “welcome” brunch the week before we leave. The meet 'n greet is at my expense, of course, but attendance is strongly suggested.

I still want to travel to Alaska one of these days, but I'll figure that out without the help of a tour company! For the $4000 it's costing me for the ten days of May, I could have had a spectacular USA vacation!

No comments: