Friday, March 9, 2012

SHA-ZAMMM

Thoughts popping into my brain regarding my rights v your rights:

I don't want to see any pregnant woman naked at any time and/or for any reason. If you think that's beautiful, good for you, but I think a naked pregnant woman should exist only behind closed doors or on a delivery table for the professionals who signed on to see it. However, Jessica Simpson's naked pregnant body is on the TV and computer screens, as well as the supermarket tabloids, so whether I want to see that intimate moment in Simpson's life or not, I am shown it any time of the day or night that I go to the grocery store or someone chooses to put it on the screens of my TV and my computer. Comparing photos of Jessica's naked pregnant body to photos of Demi's naked pregnant body, then discussing the artistic beauty of the photos, doesn't work for me either. What your pregnant body looks like is between you and your mirror: I cannot fathom that you want me (or any stranger) to know what you look like naked!

Ditto: nursing mothers. Sure, it's natural to breast feed an infant, but your brazenly naked breast, even with a child sucking on it, makes me nauseous when it's exposed in public. Really. When I'm out and about, I'm not there to see nudity. I want my cup of coffee without your baby's milk as part of the experience! What if a man wants to take out his junque and let it dangle about a bit? That's natural, and to some people it may even be beautiful, but it's against the law because no one wants to see what you've got under your clothes while they are dining, walking on a sidewalk, sitting in a mall, or taking part in other public activities. What you do in the privacy of your own life is just that: private. Your business; not mine. However, what you do in public becomes my business whether I want it to or not, and believe me, I don't want to become part of your private business!

Yes, if I were an aborigine living in a tribe isolated somewhere in a primitive jungle setting, I MAY feel differently about both male and female nudity, but I'm not and I don't. You may have your right to display your private parts, but what about my right not to be exposed to them in public places? Notice the emphasis on "public" places v "private" places. Keep your private parts private when you are in public places. Please.

If medical insurance providers pay for male sexual performance enhancers, euphemistically prescribed as "erectile dysfunction" medication, as part of their coverage, then they also need to cover women's pregnancy protection medication. Men receive condoms free from the government, but women have to pay out-of-pocket for appropriate "pregnancy protection"? Tit for tat; sauce for the goose/gander; use whatever justification you need to figure out that equality means we are all treated equally, not that all men are treated better than any woman. A man's erectile dysfunction may be personally devastating, but a woman's unwanted pregnancy can become society's long-term economic problem.

Locally, believe it or not, there is a male individual molesting females along a stretch of poorly-lighted city street, This criminal activity has been going on for the past 18 months, but local law enforcement is just now revealing that fact, as well as that there are at least 3 dozen known victims. I'm thinking that street lighting could have been installed, patrols could have been stepped up, decoys could have been used, and/or media coverage could have begun after the first dozen women were victimized by this creep. Not only could the molester be off the streets, but a whole lot of women victimized by him would not have to live the rest of their lives with the emotional devastation of this sexual attack. Why on earth would anyone wait for almost 2 years and 3 dozen victims to do something, anything to stop this criminal?

If I ruled the world ... .

2 comments:

liz said...

I agree. Don't we have rights to NOT be exposed to nudity if that's our choice? Not being a mother, my opinion on anything to do with children is often dismissed, since I "don't know anything," which annoys me because I never claimed to be an expert, but I do have a few items of common sense in that dept. I choose not to discuss nursing in public because WOW is that a hot-button topic. There is just no winning that argument, and since I am not good at debate, I would lose miserably.

*I hate the new word verification. I have to refresh 10 times before I finally get one that I *may* be able to type correctly.

Liza said...

Beyonce took Blue Ivy to a restaurant and nursed her, which has rec'd raves reviews from all the hip mamas as so natural and beautiful, but my thought is that lunch could have been scheduled so BI was fed at home and/or in the car on both ends of the adult meal!!