Sunday, April 8, 2012

In One Ear and Then the Other

For the past 3 weeks, my head has been swirling with foreign sounds and I've experienced dizziness and disorientation with sudden moves. My left ear suggests that a refrigerator motor is constantly running, while my right ear has an irritating constantly ringing whine. I've restricted my driving owing to the dizziness, but have also missed far too many phone calls because I never heard the phone ring.

I've been to the doctor and taken 2 courses of prescription meds, neither of which appear to help with the ear issues but did help with the respiratory infection and inflammation. I've used OTC ear drops, as well as both alcohol and hydrogen peroxide to try to dry out my ears, but, perhaps, they aren't "wet" and something else is causing the stoppage. The pharmacist suggested taking suda-fed, which I have, and it helps, but in the morning, when I don't take a dosage for the 10 hours I try to sleep, the ringing and motor running sounds are back full-force.

He also suggested a "neti pot," but I checked that on the internet and people have died from using neti pots, so I'm going to pass on that process.

Of course, my biggest concern is clearing this up prior to the cruise as it's going to take 12 hours in planes to arrive at the foreign destination, and I'm not sure my ears are going to agree to the pressurization issues that come with flying. I bought ear protection to wear on the flights, but that's only going to work for me if what is currently an issue is cleared up before inserting the ear devices.

Back to the doctor again.

UPDATING: I found the cause of all the "allergy" issues: I used a new laundry detergent, P&G's Tide "Pods," in a scent called "Mystic Forest." I knew that the physical issues were worse at night, but ... could NOT figure out a cause. This past weekend, however, I did a load of laundry and realized I had changed detergent; whenever allergies flare, I look for what I'm doing differently, but never dreamed that my good ole Tide came in a different scent. Rewashed all the sheets, towels, clothing in my OLD Tide -- and my allergies cleared up, my ears are almost clear, and I feel human again. Believe me, I will donate these Pods to someone who can savor the scent and I'll return to go ole UNSCENTED TIDE to keep my clothes both clean and safe for me to breathe.

1 comment:

John said...

Good that you seem to have found the cause. Hope that is all it is.