Thursday, August 29, 2013

The Third Eye

I hope my insurance company has a sense of humor when I recently submitted claims for 3, yes 3, eye surgeries. I paid out of pocket for very expensive toric lenses to correct my acute astigmatism as part of the cataract removal process. The right eye was first, and although the surgery went well, a week after the surgery the vision in my right eye was so blurry that I couldn't make out street signs, much less written correspondence.

The two-week after surgery check-up shocked my eye surgeon when she realized that the lense had rotated 20 degrees, causing the extremely blurry vision. She has been doing this (and other) surgeries since 2007 and has never encountered the problem before, nor heard about it happening to colleagues. She told me that I was "one in a million," but I really would rather that distinction were for winning the lottery than having to redo the eye surgery.

Of course, the redeaux worked and yesterday, the left eye was corrected. When I went back this morning for the day-after check-up, the surgeon was surprised that my distance vision has been corrected to 20/20 and is clear as a bell. She told me to go buy some reading glasses, so I stopped at WalMart and bought 2 pairs with a vision correction of +1.50, rather than the +2.0 she though I may need. I made sure that I could easily read the samples, and the +2.0 was too strong, so I just tried on pairs until I found the best strength for my eyes.

And, because I now have to keep a pair of reading glasses handy, I've already made 3 crocheted cozies to wear around my neck to hold my glasses when I take them off.

No comments: