Sunday, December 22, 2013

Show Time

In the past couple of weeks, I’ve been to several movies as it’s cold outside and warm inside the theater – a perfect reason to go to the movies. Of the movies I’ve watched, four of them have been outstanding: The Dallas Buyer’s Club, Philomena, Enough Said, and Saving Mr. Banks. I judge movies as good when the story is strong and both engages and entertains me; when the acting is seamless, with the actors being the characters, rather than actors portraying a character; and when I walk out of the theater compelled to talk about the experience. The four movies I named all share those characteristics. However, one other movie I enjoyed is nominated for Best Picture at one of the upcoming awards show, and that puzzles me.

Sandra Bullock is the star of a space-themed film, Gravity. It is a good enough film, but very thin on plot and character development. There is a scene wherein George Clooney’s spirit comes back from his demise in deep space to tell Sandra’s character how to calm down and save herself. Formulaic, mildly interesting, and predictable character portrayals, including Bullock’s oft-repeated “No, no, no, no, no” panic call that she uses to define character in several movies in which she has starred.

It’s interesting to me that Gravity gets “best picture” and “best actress” nominations, while the other movies, which are so much better and worth watching, have … none.

No comments: