Thursday, October 2, 2014

Rave Restaurant Review

I love a good monte cristo sandwich, and I've ordered and eaten this sandwich in many different restaurants in many different places over the many years of my life. Sometimes, I've had a good sandwich, but more often I am served an okay monte cristo: good enough to eat, but not really great.

Melvyn's in Palm Springs is old-school fine dining. It comes with a history, including Frank Sinatra's wedding and reception, as well as the weddings of a couple of my friends. It's somewhat secluded so you don't see the people rushing by on the city streets, nor do you hear lots of traffic sounds. It's beautifully landscaped and the service is impeccible. The girls were looking forward to lunch at Mervyns as it was both of their birthdays within the past month, but this was the first time we've all been together at the same time and in the same place.

The monte cristo sandwich is the best I've ever eaten anywhere anytime at any price. The bread was perfectly deep-fried and lightly dusted with powdered sugar, crisp without being soggy from too much/old grease. The cheese was wonderfully gooey, the ham delicious, and having my own little jar of raspberry preserves was a nice touch. Believe me, I was going to finish my sandwich if I had to stay until dinner service began because it was too delicious not to enjoy totally.

Anyone who comes to PS can eat in the many restaurants on the main thoroughfare, but if you want special treatment and delicious food, one block south of Palm Canyon Drive, off Ramon Road is Melvyn's, still one of the finest Palm Springs restaurants. Open for lunch and dinner; reservations recommended.

No comments: