Friday, April 14, 2017

Unwinding

I have been knitting since I was in elementary school and crocheting since I was in my 20s, so I know a lot about yarn performance. Back in the day, it was what would be called fancy yarns by today’s standards: cashmere, nylon/rayon blends, all-cotton, and yes, silk. I used to have to save my babysitting money to purchase yarn that was sometimes 25 cents a skein, and sometimes a dollar or more a skein. I began making washcloths out of 100% cotton yarn and still enjoy making them today. I found the repetitious motions of using my hands very calming, which is still true.

Today I received a shipment of yarn I purchased on sale through a website KnitPicks. There are 4 skeins of 4-ply Felici Worsted in the pile which I intended to use to make a fancy scarf pattern for future gift-giving at the holidays. I excitedly located my pattern and picked out the “test” yarn to see if this pattern is all I think it’s going to be, and started the 282-stitch chain. The yarn kept splitting and shredding with every stitch, making it impossible to pull through the loop that is part of the chain. I persevered and was finally able to get the chain the correct length, then started on the actual pattern – which was infuriating as the yarn continued to split apart with each stitch I tried to crochet! For every stitch I made, I had to undo it and try to get the 4 plies of the yarn together so I could complete the stitch. It was my stubborn inner core that kept me at it –but I’m not going to use this yarn for anything after today’s experience.

This yarn is labeled “special reserve,” and I’m not sure what that means, but it sounds like the maker is pretty darned pleased with this skein of yarn. I’m not sure why, however, as it is the poorest quality yarn I’ve ever bought! Because this first attempt is a test of the pattern, I have cussed my way through half of the scarf and will find a way to finish it tomorrow. I can’t use this garment because it’s not smooth and uniform the way a crochet stitch scarf usually looks—and it will look far too “handmade” for me to feel any pride in my accomplishment of finishing it.

What a downer!!

Yes, I can return the yarn and get my money back, but it’s only 4 skeins of the yarn and the cost of the return postage will negate the amount in a refund. I have sent an email message to Knit Picks expressing my dissatisfaction with the product, so maybe they will have “someone” take a look at the quality of this yarn and second-guess the decision to market it.

No comments: