Wednesday, April 25, 2018

Late Late Night TV with James Corden

I’ve never been a fan of the late-late night entertainment shows, and when I have watched some of them, I’ve been appalled at the crudeness of the comedy and the skits. This week, however, James Corden’s show was on at 10 pm, so I decided to watch it and see what all the hoopla is about. Of course, I didn’t stay up much past 10 pm, but I dvr’d the show and watched it the next day.

What a funny, entertaining show! I enjoyed the skits and laughed so hard when he did the crosswalk playhouse routine that I thought I would wet my panties. What a great concept, and the cast he chose to perform The Sound of Music really sold the skit. Allison Janey was a perfect foil for James, and I don’t know how they kept from busting out laughing when they were performing.

I had, of course, heard about carpool karaoke, but had never seen the bit played out. James had a couple of cohorts in the car and the performance was over the top, especially with Christina Aguilera. It was quite the surprise when Melissa McCarthy popped up in the back row of the SUV and joined the hilarity, catching both Aguilera and Corden off-guard.

I tried to watch Saturday Night Live a couple of times, and it just wasn’t my cup of tea. The skits were more vulgar than humorous, and the actors seemed to play too much to the audience to get a laugh than letting it happen organically. I’m going to tape Corden's show a couple more times and see if it’s really as good as this episode before I commit to staying up late to watch the performance “live.”

No comments: