Friday, July 12, 2019

Youthful Brain

I've spent a bit of time surfing the internet looking for articles about dementia and cognition. Pretty much they all have the same info, but I was attracted to one site that focused on "Youthful Brain," a supplement that, according to the doctor's information at the site, will help with cognition.  Of course, that supplement has to be augmented with brain training and diet as nothing by itself will make any difference in the course of the dementia.

I read all the literature that came with the site and which included an article about nutritional changes that can be made to improve the brain as an organ of the body. The article talked about super foods for the brain that can enhance the brain's function, including those things that should be avoided, which includes popcorn at the movies. I took it all in and decided to send for the supplement, Youthful Brain, under the brand name Vitality Now.  I got what's called the "Clear Mind Formula," which is supposed to work to clear out the fog associated with dementia.

The fog is what made me realize that something was wrong when I first started having brain issues. I couldn't remember the simplest of things, like my phone number or address, just absolutely blanking when asked to provide either one while doing business transactions. It was frustrating and irritating, to say the least, not to be able to recall simple, basic life information. That's when I decided it was time to see my doctor and ask him whatever could be causing my symptoms. When he ran a few cognition tests, it became clear that I was started down a path no one wants to walk.

I have been using the Clear Mind Formula, Youthful Brain, for about a month now and I can feel a difference. That fog effect seems to have lifted somewhat and I feel more clear-headed.  Now, that can be a by-product of wanting the formula to work, so it does, but if that's what it takes, so be it. I have even recalled some information appropos nothing in particular, which has been somewhat startling. Today, on the other hand, the clerk at the drugstore asked me for my phone number and I totally blanked, but after thinking about it for a minute or so, I was able to retrieve it.  In the past, what I could not recall was simply gone.

Yes, I am also taking a prescription medication, Aricept, which has shown significant results in slowing the progress of the dementia in patients who use it.  I had taken it for about a month before I added the Youthful Brain formula. Before adding the YB, I still had fog; since adding the YB, I don't have the fog.  I think the two work together well, but perhaps have different foci for their targets. I return to my doctor the end of the month and will bring him up to date on what I decided to do by adding the Youth Brain formula to my treatment plan.  I'm going to stop taking it after I've used up the product I purchased and see if there is any difference not using it versus using it. Then, based on my own empirical evidence, I will decide whether to purchase more of the Youthful Brain product.

Updating:  Just received my newsletter from AARP and found an article about brain supplements. Basically, it says there is absolutely no evidence that any of the ones they tested work, and that it's a big scam. Did reflect that they are expensive and lining someone's pockets with profit. Also, said that it could be harmful. Well, when I use up my last bottle of the supplements (at $50/bottle), I won't get any more.

1 comment:

John said...

What many people don't realize is just how long it takes for medications like Aricept to start working. In most cases, you won't even feel a difference for up to 3 months. Then, you will start noticing an improvement. By about 4-6 months, you will be gaining the full benefit. So, it is very likely that it was just the Aricept starting to kick in. Now that you are feeling some positive effects, that will probably increase for the next month or two until you are feeling much sharper and clearer than you were before.