Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Ka-BOOM!

Yep, I have a short fuse when somebody does me wrong ... including the credit card company that sent me a "rewards" check for $6.55 in the same envelope containing news of a late fee for $20 on my last payment.

Normally, I wouldn't be bitching, but ...

The first of January, I paid the balance due in full ($500+) for the first bill sent by the credit card company the end of December. When I received another bill in the same month, I paid it in full ($70+), but that check evidently didn't arrive prior to 5 pm on the date due; hence, the late fee.

The notation that this late payment fee could appear on my credit score really pissed me off because I've already been there and done that for the ONE lost bill in a series of moves almost a decade ago. After living in the same house for 20+ years, I moved 4 times in 2 years and was amazed that only one bill never made the moves with me. That one bill haunts me to this day.

When I was informed during a refi on my current home 2 years ago about the failure to pay the $135 bill 7 years earlier, I immediately did so--but it was too late. According to the bill collection service, this lost bill cost me my excellent credit rating, and it didn't matter that it is the only blemish on a 40-year credit history: I was now a deadbeat and would pay for the rest of my life for the error of my ways!

Good God: I pay my bills the day I receive them, have "left-over" money at the end of every month, maintain a savings account, and don't buy anything I cannot afford to pay off in full when the bill arrives, so what is the problem?????

I called the credit card company instantly after opening the bill and told the service rep to cancel the card. Oh, no need for that: she'll take off the charge and it won't be reported to the credit services. She is so very sorry for the inconvenience, but would I be interested in protecting myself in the future with one of the company's services for just this situation: credit protection for a low monthly fee of just yada yada yada.

I got it: attach a late fee, talk to the steamed customer, and they'll fall right into the monthly protection plan trap. No, thanks. I again directed her to cancel my account immediately, but I'm sure she won't do that because she fixed the problem to her satisfaction, which is what her job description tells her to do: keep the card open and active!

I handle my own credit card issues: that card no longer exists. Problem solved.

1 comment:

Liza said...

A trip to Sam's Club took care of canceling the card and getting an ID only card. Of course, the Sam's rep had to call before a new card could be issued because the credit card was still alive and well in the computer system.

It's gone, now. I don't do late charges.