Friday, June 8, 2007

Nightmare in the Desert

One of the reasons I’ve never enjoyed watching Star Trek is the facial abnormalities of the aliens. One character, made up with brown bumps for eyebrows that mostly looked like embedded ticks, really freaked me out because my dogs have had ticks--and so have I. Yuk.

My skin crawled as I recently watched Pirates 3, and I knew that the “barnacle” people were going to haunt me sooner or later. Capt Jack’s father came apart from the ship, and the starfish on the side of his face grew; the character with the octopus tentacles just creeped me out beyond belief. I knew I hadn’t seen the last of them as the images have haunted me. They came in the dark last night …

I must have been tossing, turning, and talking in my sleep as my dog came in to see what was the matter. I dreamed that something, either seaweed or fins, grew out of my pointing finger on my right hand. They were long, very long, very noticeable—and no one knew why they grew or what to do about them. They were semi-solid and could not be hidden, so I had to deal with the long, trailing flow of them until someone could figure out what caused them to grow and how to remove them.

I kept waking up, checking my finger, and then falling back to an uneasy sleep, all the while hoping the dream stayed away, but it came back and came back. My stomach roils just thinking about it!

Finally, about 3 am, it was just easier to stay awake and wait for the sun to dawn to get up and shower away the remnants of the night. Perhaps putting it on paper will take away the dream?

No comments: