Monday, June 11, 2007

The Slow-Down Plan

The best laid plans of mice and men often go astray, and so it is with my "slow down" plan.

After my final day tomorrow, the plan was to take a few days, prep the summer session, work 4 days a week for a month, take a few more days off, then prep for the fall semester. It seemed like a good idea to wind down, rather than abruptly stop working altogether.

However, the call came today: low enrollment = no summer school class. Thus, as of 3 pm tomorrow, I have no job!

What am I going to do?

Yeah, yeah, yeah, there's always the "to do" list, and mine never shortens, but that's not what I'm asking. I'm asking, WHAT AM I GOING TO DO?

Am I going to be okay with NOT working, or am I going to need to find "something" to do to justify my existence? Can I accept just cashing my retirement check and paying my bills, or do I need to earn my way, even during retirement?

I wasn't ready to make those decisions, but I guess life wants me to decide sooner, rather than later, and sooner starts ... tomorrow.

I'll keep ya posted on progress.

No comments: