Tuesday, November 27, 2007

No Coincidence

Okay, I’ll admit that I’ve been reading—a lot—since I retired. I enjoy reading crime dramas written by men whose sense of humor interjects itself into the most gruesome crime. Women writers also do an excellent job, especially true crime author Ann Rule, who reverse engineers actual crimes to show how they began, many times years before the actual criminal event/ murder. When it comes to female fiction, no one beats Nora Roberts (writing as J.D. Robb), whose fictional female lieutenant Eve kicks butt and solves crimes, usually with the aid of her uber-cyber savvy hubby, Roarke.

So, this morning, I’m reading about the death of Sean Taylor, a professional football player, who was shot in the groin by an intruder and died early this morning. He leaves behind a girlfriend, 1-year-old daughter, and a history of suspicious behavior that often involved law enforcement.

Hmm, thinks I, as I continue reading the article.

Additionally, his father is a police chief in Florida (explains the rebellion against authority figures). A University of Miami football player was killed one year ago this month; shot, as a matter of fact and lived a couple of miles from today's victim (too coincidental). Eight days ago, an intruder broke into Taylor’s home and left a kitchen knife on the bed (a warning, perhaps). Last night, the intruder came back and finished the job (crime anniversary?).

Now that sounds a whole lot like cause and effect, rather than an unbelievable chain of criminal coincidence.

Yeah, I’d start looking for the links because the investigators in the crime dramas never believe in coincidence. I’m thinking that this murder is simply the next in a chain of events that originated in Florida, in the past, and may be linked to the father, not just to the son, in the present.

And if I’m a football player with those same ties, I’d be upgrading the home security system and asking for personal protection until the shooter is caught.

No comments: