Friday, November 9, 2007

This Little Light of Mine

The first time the compact flourescent bulb burned out and I could not buy a replacement, I bought a new fixture. In an attempt to avoid a future fixture for which there is no replacement bulb, I bought the new fixture at Lowe's, the big box building supply store with inventory to fit my every need.

Sort of.

The bulb in the new fixture burned out.
Lowe's light = Lowe's bulb.
Not exactly.

Although there are, indeed, many replacement CFLs in the lighting department, there is NOT a replacement bulb for this fixture. It doesn't happen often, explains the courteous service representative, but it now has happened to me: twice.

You see, these specialty CFLs are unique, so you can't just walk into the store and buy one that fits your fixture. Of course, I can always buy another outdoor light fixture, one that takes regular, old-fashioned light bulbs--but aren't they being phased out due to the popularity of and demand for the green qualities of the CFLs?

I asked to speak to the manager, explained that if Lowe's carries the fixture, Lowe's should carry replacement bulbs for the fixture.

"I'll look into it."

Perhaps. Then again, I could see that he was really busy with other pressing matters, so I'm not going to hold my breath. It is, after all, just a replacement light bulb.

No comments: