Friday, October 17, 2008

Bits 'n Pieces

Yesterday morning, I sat on the patio and enjoyed the monarch butterflies supping nectar from my butterfly bushes. The bushes have gone through several iterations of growth, often dying back and regrowing without interference from me. I'm not sure how they will winter, but my guy says to keep the water on them, prune them back a bit, and let's see. Sounds like a plan to me.

The new windshields are so clear! The tint is also much darker as it fades over time, so I'm not squinting as much as I was. I will be able to drive into the rising or setting sun and see what's ahead of me, which is a safety bonus I appreciate. Best of all, they let me watch as I've never seen a windshield replacement and there were 2 going on simultaneously. Woo-hoo! Also, when I noticed the sticker for Triple A on the side of the trucks, I asked for my discount and saved about $30 on each windshield, which I appreciated. I'm not sure why I wasn't offered the discount from the sales associate who took the order, but probably because it costs them money to give it? They also wrote 2 separate invoices, so I had to pay tax on each windshield, rather than on the total amount of the purchase, which I questioned, but didn't get a good response to from either the sales associate or the installers.

The Red Velvet cupcakes are dry and tasteless, not at all what I remembered or wanted them to be. The white chocolate icing, which was both expensive and time-consuming, never set up, so it was dumped. All in all, a disaster. I'm still trying to decide if I should find a box of mix and try that route, so may take a look while I'm out later today.

I am going to the movies today with my movie buddy as The Life of Bees is opening and it's one we both said we wanted to see after viewing the previews. She has been to Appaloosa and said to ignore the critics as she enjoyed it on many different levels. She does agree, however, that Rene Zellwegger probably wasn't the best choice for playing the role, but the premise of her part is an integral part of the movie and brings it together in a way that is outstanding.

I did mark my absentee ballot today and put it in the mailbox at the post office. I'm glad I read the small print re: postage as it costs 59 cents to mail. Imagine how many of the envelopes are going to be returned for insufficient postage because the postage amount is not printed on the envelope, but on an enclosure in small print.

And, finally, I called the middle school to verify what the girl next door told me when she wanted me to order products from her: either pay in cash or write a check to her mother. I refused both of those options because I know that many kids will spend the money and/or conveniently lose the order, which means I donate cash to the kid and don't get the product. The school verified that because too many checks bounce, they won't take them: cash on the barrelhead, as it were. I won't do that, so the girl loses the order from me.

1 comment:

liz said...

I have tried Duncan Hines Red Velvet cake mix and thought it was good. Moist and rich. That was my first and only experience with Red Velvet cake, so I don't know if it was good or bad, but I thought it was good. Give that one a try if you can find it in the store.