Thursday, October 30, 2008

Waddah Week

The art thing finally pissed off enough people that a huge demonstration took place at the "artist's" home and the effigy of Sarah Palin is no longer part of the display. The "artist" defended his rights to any and all media on the scene, and said that he would "consider removing the display" after he had made his point. How sweet. However, the "artist" was directed to remove it as a health & safety issue: too many people driving by gawking, putting the pedestrians into harm's way. Whatever it takes, I guess.

One [of the list of students] student who has missed 5 consecutive classes reacted with (un)righteous indignation: that is NOT an option for her because that means the Pell Grant goes away. Well, so does failing a class because a Pell Grant is NOT free money! This student assured me at 3 absences in a row that there would be no more, that both the medical and personal issues had been handled, and then there were 2 more. The good news is that I have the backing of the highest echelon of administration, so the only fear I have is whether this student comes to plead the case while packing heat!

As to the assurance that "I'll work really hard and make up all the work I've missed," no. First, you've already demonstrated that you don't work hard as you don't attend class. Next, you cannot make up the 15 hours of class time wherein we not only discuss, but participate in writer's workshops to build skill. And, finally, I'm paid by the hour and my salary does not include working an additional 15 hours to bring you up to speed.

Finally, even though I had the flu shot a month ago, I woke up very early Tuesday morning and didn't see daylight until Wed evening! I thought my head was going to explode and I could not keep up with the sweating even though I used a terry towel. My stomach was so upset that it was iffy to move, but, thankfully, I didn't have to deal with projectile vomiting. Today, a student came to class and immediately left as she seems to have the same symptoms. Last week, there were several students who suddenly did not feel good and had to depart hastily. Must be something going around that the flu shot missed.

I'm going in to take a short nap and hope I wake up before tomorrow morning as I've slept more in the past 2 days than I have in the past 2 weeks.

No comments: