Saturday, November 1, 2008

Another Perspective

This short video was posted on the blogspace of the local newspaper. When I played it, some of the thoughts in the back of my mind fell into place and said, "This is what makes me uneasy. The truth is being suppressed." Perhaps this tactic is justified by someone's belief that ignoring the past is for a greater good. However, if that's the goal, the truth cannot hurt; manipulating the truth to achieve a personal objective and then dealing with the fall-off after the fact undermines not just the person who lies, but the greater good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLL7vkx9ALU

Contrary to Jack Nicholson's great line, "You can't handle the truth," I do better when people are upfront, when they aren't manipulative, devious, or passive / aggressive. I can handle the truth, but far too few people share my point of view. In this case, I'm sure the Obama campaign realizes that if this video receives wide distribution, it will affect his candidacy -- perhaps negatively, which simply is not allowed by the Obama campaign and/or the media. However, the people deserve to see the whole picture of the candidate, not just the public persona that is being presented as representative of the whole, BEFORE the votes are cast, not afterward.

Sooner or later, as my mother used to warn me, it all comes out in the wash.

NOTE: I don't know how to insert the little viewer into an email, much less a blog, but if you want to see what I saw, cut and past the URL I've provided into your address and tell me what you think after you've watched the video.

No comments: