Saturday, November 8, 2008

Coincidence or Cause-Effect

This is the night, the first time it's totally pitch black at 5:30 pm, a weekend, and cool enough to try out the chiminea. I bought fireplace logs, cut one into quarters, spread the layer of white rocks into the bottom of the fireplace, and struck the match.

Ah.

Mia and I sat outside, listening to the neighborhood noises, watching the planes coming into and leaving the airport, sipping on my cup of coffee, and hearing the sirens suddenly appear on MY street!

First, several police cars punched it at the corner and went full throttle down the street. I didn't hear them stop anywhere on the street or at the intersection down the road. Then, a huge fire truck came lumbering down the road, lights and sirens ablaze, followed by an ambulance.

My first thought was crap, I'm going to get busted for having my tiny little fire in the chiminea in my backyard. I waited for the fire fighters to rush up the driveway, hoses in hand, but they stayed 2 doors down the street for 20 minutes or so before departing.

I'm hoping it was just a coincidence that the first time I have a fire in my chiminea the fire trucks show up as I really enjoyed sitting outside in front of my fire for the first time: I don't want it to be the last!

No comments: