Saturday, October 25, 2008

Oil and Water

Today was my continuing ed class at the community college, taught by a wonderful woman who works in the Office of Instruction. She and her husband used to own a farm in Oregon, where they established a huge garden and developed their own cottage industry. A by-product of their garden was making lotions and potions, as my friend Kay used to say.

This class taught how to measure oils using a gram scale, add water, heat, and beat thoroughly, then enjoy the benefits of the hand cream that results. The texture is extra smooth and creamy, and the product soft when applied to the skin. Because it is totally natural, you can use it often, but because it is made from oils, you don't need to use much or reapply all the time, as is often the case with commercial cosmetics. My very dry desert skin feels soft, smooth and moist for the first time in months.

It was fun to watch the clear liquids become opaque as we continued to beat the oil and water. As it cooled, it started to set, going from custard to pudding to mousse texture in about 1/2 an hour. She told us that we can leave it overnight and whip it again to get the lightest, fluffiest hand lotion we've ever used.

We also made lip balm! Again, the product is all natural, so it's good for the lips, not cakey or gooey. We can make it into a bar and carry with us or put into a desk drawer at work to reapply as the air conditioning dries out even the most moist lip protection. I always have hanging chad on my lips, but an hour after applying our product, my lips were smooth.

I haven't decided if I'm going to invest in the oils and make my own lotion as the recipe results in 3 cups of it, but I just may do so as I use a lot of lotion in an often futile attempt to keep my skin moist. Perhaps some of my b'fast buddies will join me in making and using our own products. I'll have to ask.

Today was such a great time that I am now looking forward even more to the next class, soap making.

1 comment:

liz said...

That sounds like an enjoyable class. Wish I had something like that around here.