Sunday, May 24, 2009

Coincidence?

Today's plans included a trip up the big hill, to Idy, to visit with friends, eat lunch out, and just relax, so I rolled out of bed early and hit the shower. Well, I would have hit the shower, but when I turned on the faucet, there was no water. None. Not any. Tried the toilet (which, of course, I'd already used) and the sinks, then went outside to see if there was an obvious reason for no water.

I doubted that the collection of dog doo-doo had caused the water outage, but after calling the service line at 6 AM and being told that the person would forward the information, I decided to clean up the dog run; after all, I hadn't had a shower, so why not? When I got to the bedroom side of the house, however, I saw a river running into my yard from the house next door, undermining the fences between us.

Hmmmm, thinks I: could there possibly be any connection between that water and my lack thereof? Probably not, but I wrote a note and taped it to the neighbor's door so they are aware of the river and the fact that I don't want the water coming into my yard.

It's now after 1 pm and no one has come to see about the water. Yes, the water is sort of back on, gushing, then trickling, then gushing again, so I don't know if I have water or not. I flushed the toilet I used earlier this morning and it sounded as if a geyser were going on under the lid, so I shut the door and will go back in when the sound subsides.

I know it's the holiday weekend, so I doubt that there are planned water outages, but you never know. I've lived in the house for 9 years and have never experienced a water outage, so I'm concerned about this one. Is there a huge problem lurking on my property with which I'm going to have to deal, or did something else happen and now it's okay?

And, is it a coincidence that all that water came rushing onto my property from the house next door? They were once illegally tied in to my water system via their watering system, but I know for a fact that has been discontinued, so probably this is a coincidence, but I'm not going to be comfortable until I know for sure why I had no water service when I woke up today.

3 comments:

Miss Fliss said...

hmmm curiousa and curiousa!

I hope someone comes and takes a look at this for you soon. I wouldn't be very comforrtable with that situation, either.

Did you at least get to go have lunch with your friends after all that?

Liza said...

No one from the Water Dept showed up, but I do have water service, so tomorrow I'm going to drive the 1/2 mile to the office and ask for an on-site visit. My water is still bursting, rather than flowing, and it's really, really filled with "smoke," that discolored appearance that also affects taste. I need to know if there is a PROBLEM, so it was just one of those things.

Liza said...

I went to the water district office and talked to ... Don, who explained that the computers on the telemetrics at the storage tanks failed, so we ran out of water. Once someone noticed the problem (!), the computer was rebooted and the water again flowed.

Okay: it's his story, so he can tell it any way he wants.