Saturday, January 15, 2011

Modernizing My Life

Taking a step into the 21st Century, I am doing more of the routine aspects of my life on-line. I'm not sure how much I trust the security of conducting business on-line, but it seems to be a more functional, efficient way to complete some tasks, such as shopping for items that usually require several hours of time, as well as traveling distances, to accomplish. It also speeds up my postal services and saves me time standing online at the local PO.

The post office offers the option to pay for postage on-line, which may not seem like such a big deal, but it is when standing online at the PO would take more time than the end result is worth. During tough economic times, I do not understand why the PO continues to use floor space and budget for the "gift store" in each of our local offices. How much better to use that space for a "stamps only" line or "money orders" line to get the people with small purchases out of the main line. Stamps only people move along quickly, while money order purchases can take at least a full 15 minutes each to transact, although I'll admit that I have no idea why it takes that long.

Ditto sending packages: for those of us who package well, label correctly, and have money in hand, it's not such a big deal. However, for the customer who needs tape, doesn't have a proper address label, has no idea if the address/zip code is correct, etc etc etc, the line has to wait forever to complete the transaction. Because our 3-window post office usually has 1 or 2 employees at the counter to deal with customers, the line can literally wind through the lobby, especially on the high volume days, but far too frequently just because there is one post office to service a community that has doubled in size in the 10 years I've lived in it.

Postal employees know what takes time and what can be expedited with simple reorganization of the service area. My best guess is that most people realize that the gift store is not a paying proposition and can be eliminated. If a person shows up and needs to purchase packing supplies, both a Wal-Greens and a K-Mart are at the other end of the block. If the customer is directed to purchase packaging supplies before returning for the mailing process, it wouldn't take too many trips for a customer to realize that s/he needs to prep the package before bringing it to the post office.

We all are cost-cutting and streamlining our personal business, but federal businesses don't seem in a hurry to do the same. As a matter of fact, the cost of postage is going up again, which is another reason that I'm transitioning to using the technology where it is practical in my own life.

No comments: