Monday, January 31, 2011

Positively a New Week

Last week was interesting, frustrating, and quite a treat once I made the personal decision to let go of the back/hips/knee issues for the time being. My body has been so tense that I literally could not bend over to tie my shoes -- and this with 5 weeks of physical therapy behind me. I consulted (okay, confronted) the PT last Wednesday and flat-out told him that I'm where I was when we began this journey, and if there isn't something "concrete" that I can do to improve my physical situation, I'm finished with PT. He was a bit taken aback (I do have that effect at times) and did a bit of what I call the Texas Two-Step, dancing around my concerns and reinforcing his agenda.

When all was said and nothing done, I canceled my Friday appointment and decided that I was going to live the next 4 days without my physical issues being primary. That must have been the right decision because I finally slept through the night without being reawakened constantly with shooting pains in my back/hips. I tried a different pair of shoes, which also seem to have helped my ability to stand straight and feel strong. I bought the recommended lumbar pillows, one of which is behind my back as I drive, and that seems to have contributed to a more positive physical feeling. I visited with my dear friend and enjoyed an outside impromptu picnic in gorgeous SoCal beach weather. All my grades and paperwork are caught up, I finished another square in the crazy afghan I'm knitting, and walked the dogs on slightly longer walks than we have been taking.

I treated myself to some baking! After watching the finale of Buddy's search for the Next Great Baker, stunned that the person who baked a white cake for a client who specified chocolate cake was selected as the best of the rest, I took my frustration out in the kitchen. While I lived (briefly) in Texas, I loved the fact that everyone I knew cooked and baked and barbequed and invited people over at least once a week. I happily joined that social circle and learned how to prepare brisket, as well as Texas-style sheet cake, a must at every social gathering. I also was taught how to make Texas Turtles, a recipe that begins with a bottle of bourbon and ends in lots of chocolate. Even though they did not turn out as well as I had hoped, they combine bourbon, pecans and chocolate, so whatever. A favorite recipe I found years ago on the internet began my baking binge and it ended with several plates of goodies that will be distributed today.


I called B and paid him to reinstall the metal security screen next door, which he did, even though part of the frame was missing. He screwed the door into the door jamb, which is only a deterrent and not going to stop a determined criminal from breaking and entering.

I scooped poop, so the yard is not quite the toxic site it had been since before Christmas.

I finished the new Temperence Brennen novel I purchased while visiting my friend on the coast. Good read that I'll pass on.

I watched the Pro Bowl, but I again wondered why: it's kinda like watching college boys tossing the ball in the park, but the pros wear really tight pants and shirts, while the college guys wear sexy blue jeans and skin. Personally, I like the jeans/bare chests and would enjoy the Pro Bowl more if it were a great game of touch football played in the park!

What's in store this week? I begin with a trip to the dentist, but I'm not sure how I'll get there as, due to really strong winds over the weekend, most of the roads across the freeway are again closed. My appointment is early, so I'll be in the line with the employees trying to make it to work on time. After the dental appointment, I PT, prep for tonight's class, walk the dogs, and go to work.

This week, I'm going to begin it believing that it'll be another great one: the power of positive thinking seems to work well for me.

No comments: