Sunday, January 16, 2011

Paint Hazard

Perhaps it's not a big deal, but I've noticed in the past several football weekends that the logos that used to be confined to the area directly under the goal posts and/or the far sides of the end zone have both enlarged significantly and crept onto the field in various configurations. I've also noticed that players on the field lose their footing in the paint!

Yesterday, it cost a team an incomplete pass as the receiver's feet went out from under him, and he literally slid across the painted mascot in the middle of the field. I've seen players slide in the end zone, unable to remain on their feet and score a touchdown. I've seen quarterbacks unable to establish position for a pass because their feet were not firmly anchored in the middle of the field during a play.

What I don't understand is twofold: (1) why all the painting on the field of play and (2) why doesn't anyone on the field/sidelines protest? If I were either a player or a coach, I'd want this paint hazard removed from the field of play. There are already far too many ways for a player to be injured or fumble a play without having to worry about slipping on field paint.

1 comment:

John said...

Agree. I noticed that, too, while watching. Seems like a no-brainer to me.

*mossperg