Tuesday, October 4, 2011

No Apology Necessary

A few times, I've felt a bit bad about bagging on Obama for his apparent disconnect from the American people. However, this week he came on-board and actually said in a speech that this is NOT working. Okay, I took his comment out of context, but if he actually realizes this is NOT working on any level for anyone, perhaps he can come back around to humming the "change we can believe in" theme song and actually write the lyrics to define that change.

Obama's chances of being re-elected are slimming down to none as he continues to berate the public for apparently failing to understand what it is he is trying to accomplish, as well as his agenda for so doing, but when anyone asks him to define himself, he repeats himself, rather than explain. He hammers at Republicans in Washington as solely responsible for the Titanic disaster of the past couple of years, while failing to realize that there are millions of other Republicans (potential voters) he's alienating along with his Washington targets. The poor, who not only continue to be poor, but have become poorer, may not catch his TV appearances, nor attend his upperclass fund raisers and/or purchase the published media that continues to support an increasingly unpopular President, but I feel confident that even the poorest among us accept that it's not getting better under Obama's presidency.

I gave up after the address to the United Nations: no matter the words that were carefully crafted by the speech writers, Obama's facial expressions and tone of voice sent the silent message: it's all your fault, people, not mine. Americans have learned to turn a deaf ear to being berated by the American president, but Obama was speaking to the world!

I am well-read, well-educated, interested in politics and make carefully-considered political decisions for my life in general. I have ideas for change we all can believe in, primarily involving curbing out-of-control government spending, but my President denigrates my ability to grasp the complex concepts of assets, liabilities, and debt load that keep money in my savings account, my mortgage current, and my bills paid in full and on-time, while his grasp of the same concepts puts the country in financial peril. I know that to keep America working, we have to keep Americans working, but my president fails to grasp that basic concept, believing instead that all Americans should be able to live the American dream without lifting a finger to make it happen for themselves or others.

His solution to complex problems: the government pays for whatever the people (think they) need. That, Mr. President, is NOT change I can believe in, nor will I support your efforts toward that goal. If you want MY vote, insist that all people work to earn what they want, what they need, what they value. What we get free we do not appreciate, nor value.

Mr. Obama, the people need to be involved not just in the problem, but in the solution to the problem. It is only through my personal investment in my own success that others benefit. It's a basic economic principle, but there are still millions of us living in the USA who believe that we each have to work for what we have and resent the hell out of creating even longer lines of free goods and services for those who sit on the stoop waiting for the gravy train to roll on by.

Obama has the opportunity to moderate this train wreck, although I believe it's far too late to turn it around, but he fails to recognize that his total polarization of political parties, as well as his basic failure to understand common economic concepts of supply and demand, makes him a very unattractive candidate for anything except retirement to private life... .

No comments: