Monday, May 7, 2012

Cruisin' for Conclusion

This is it, the big day before the Big Day. As is usually the case, I’ve packed a lot into the next couple of weeks while firmly believing that if it’s going to cause stress, then be stressed and move on. Thus, I’m taking the retirement cruise, returning home to finish my last semester of teaching, followed by attending my last “faculty” graduation ceremony, then celebrating my birthday. Sha-zaam!

I’m packed for the cruise, but, according to the experts, I should now take everything out of the suitcase and put back only that about which I am certain I have a need. Said expert also recommends that I plan to wear each garment 3 times, but I spill down the front of everything, so I’d rather not be swathed in an inadvertent giraffe print and I do prefer clean clothes to dirty. Another recommendation is to bring underwear that can be discarded, rather than returned home to the washing machine, which, on the surface, sounds like a good idea. BUT, panties and bras cost too much to toss and don't come in a convenient "6 fer" package.

I have ICE packets with every conceivable piece of information anyone could need to identify my body, return it home, retrieve my car from long-term parking, and cash in the burial policy. I have my passport, as well as the copies to carry with me wherever I wander because the cruise line holds the original in security while I’m under their aegis. I have some money, but I’m not going to take much with me, either in dollars or Euros, after paying double the advertised cost of the cruise with all the hidden and add-on fees. There is nothing I can purchase overseas that I cannot purchase at home, so I’ll take pictures if there’s something I really have to own. My one suitcase is limited to 50 pounds of whatever, and that’s going to be dirty clothes coming home to the washing machine, not souvenirs made in China and sold in the Mediterranean countries.

Yep, it concerns me that Greece is the focal point for political unrest and financial upheaval, renewed again this past week with vigor. One Greek citizen is quoted in the press: “Let’s destroy it all, then rebuild it. We have nothing to lose at this point that we’ve not already lost.” My hope is that they won't destroy Greece while I'm visiting and will either welcome American dollars or the cruise ship will have better amenities than our tour company president touted at the recent meet ‘n greet. At that time, he lamented how few people signed up for the cruise, rather than thanking those of us who did commit to the expense, and repeatedly reminded us that this is a “destination” cruise, NOT a luxury cruise. The on-board meals were presented as okay, the accommodations described as adequate, and the excursions as well worth the price, regardless of how outrageous the prices seem to me. I’m not going to pay $180 for a 5-hour sightseeing experience that begins with a poorly maintained, over-crowded tour bus traversing unpaved mountain pathways, nor a mere $130 for a 3-hour walking tour of anywhere. And especially I'm not going to pay for it in advance after learning that my local agency takes half the cost of each shore excursion!!

All the items on my to-do-before list have been completed, including Yucheng’s ChinAmerica afghan made to honor his birthday/college graduation May 25, during which he has also been chosen to be the student speaker. I gave the gift to him yesterday and he’s pleased. It’s one of a kind, designed to reflect his personal family background, and interpretative, not literal; thus, the unique “stars” on the Chinese flag and the reconfiguration of the American flag concept. And, if I knew how to get the photo off my phone and into my email account, I’d include it with this post!

It’s time to hi-ho. Will ketchup after my experience of a lifetime.

No comments: