Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Handy Helper

It's challenging to find a handy/man/person to help with the small household jobs I am no longer able to do myself. The latest job is finishing off the guest room that went from a typical guest room to a multi-purpose room. Where once the queen bed dominated, there is now a reclining couch that quickly folds open for sleeping, a coffee table high enough to be used with a computer, a casual chair, a bookcase, a night stand, and a huge dresser that came with the original queen set that perfectly fits along one wall and adds much-needed storage. Even with all the furniture in the room, it feels roomy and comfy.

In the process of changing the look and use of the room, I removed the 3 ginormous closet doors, one of which is mirrored. The problem with the sliding closet doors is that it is impossible to open fully one-third of the closet, much less more than that, so it became a constant battle of sliding doors back and forth to access the contents of the closet. Once the doors were down, I decided they would not be rehung and began thinking about a replacement. My first choice, bi-fold doors, was nixed because any discretionary money for the project is paying Daisy's vet bill. I had to think ... free, or close to it. After I ruled out a half-dozen other ideas, I recalled a neighbor's living room curtains that use a wire in her "industrial" decorating scheme, so I decided that was my way to go, too.

How easy could this be: screw in some heavy-duty "eyes" in each end of the closet opening, as well as 3-5 across the top to help support the weight of the curtains, attach a wire at one end, thread it through the supports, tie it off: voila. Job done.

Funny thing about having a simple idea is that the employees of the hardware stores, both local and big box, pointed out all kinds of potential problems that I simply refused to believe. I decided to go ahead, but waited to buy the supplies until I could find a handy/man/person to help me install the eyes, which required use of an industrial drill I don't have. One guy wanted $25/hour, another wanted to do it his way, and a third looked at me with a totally blank expression that did not bode well for communication. However, my neighbor knows a guy, and this handyman listened to my explanation of the tasks, asked questions, and said, "Let's do it."

I made it very clear that I wanted to use eyes and wire, drew a picture (literally), and then sent him to the hardware store, from which he returned with ... hooks and rope.

"Nope," I told him, "that won't work. The hooks aren't strong enough to support the curtains and the rope will sag."

"No, missus, it will work. I show you," he replied.

Today, I finished cutting apart the sheets and hemming them to serve as curtains. [Aside: sheets are the perfect curtains: cheap, easy to wash, dry, rehang, and are available in multitudes of colors, patterns and sizes.] These curtains are solid black (which I may embellish before I'm completely finished), so it was challenging to see well enough to do the sewing, but I finished the prep and did a trial hang.

I'll go back to the hardware store and buy the stronger eyes I originally described, as well as wire that will hold the weight of the curtains without stretching and sagging. I'll also add the other 2 eyes for the support that I described in the original discussion yesterday.

And, I won't call him back to redo it to the way I directed in the first place because that would assume I'd pay again to have the job done "my way," which is probably why it was done his way yesterday.

No comments: