Thursday, July 5, 2012

Liar, Liar

It took a while, but Animal Control finally showed up July 3 to take my report of the June 28th early morning attack by two big "Husky" dogs up at the corner. I had staked out the street where I had last seen the dogs heading and finally figured out where the dogs are domiciled (3rd house on the left), so was able to provide that information to the officer so the incident could be investigated. Today, he stopped by the residence to talk with the people and determine if they have dogs matching the description I provided following the attack last Thursday, June 28.

They do have 2 "husky" dogs, one of which is an actual Husky and the other an Alaskan Malamute. They are both very light in color, just like the dogs that attacked us, but these dogs have NEVER been off the property. However, the dog owners provided another possible lead in the attack: there are two other dogs on the street who look just like their dogs, and THOSE dogs are always running the streets. Thus, I made an honest mistake by accusing these dogs when it's those dogs that probably attacked us last week.

I stared at the AC officer and asked him what he wanted me to say: actually, I asked him how I could even respond to that preposterous fabrication. Did HE really believe that there is another pair of dogs just like their dogs, and they all just happen to live on the same street? The AC officer explained to me that these dogs are "tied down" in the backyard, and he actually saw the tie-downs for himself. I have to catch them off-property and get a photo of them before my "story" about the attack is believed and any further action can be taken.

As the AC officer was readying himself to leave my front door, I smiled my sweetest smile and said, "I don't envy you having to figure out which of us is the bigger liar."

"No, no," he responded, "I believe you and your dogs were attacked, but if there are two other dogs in the neighborhood who look like these folks' dogs, well, you can see the spot I'm in."

Yeah, I can see that. And I can also see that I have to cough up $616.38 to pay the vet bill because I have no photographic proof that those dogs attacked us and it's, once again, the pet owners' version of their truth v. my allegations about the attack and injuries.

If, however, those owners left a box of puppies on a roadside, or if I physically harmed their dogs, there are penalties for that: $20,000 fine and up to 3 years in prison. And I'll bet that if I had hurt their dogs in fending them off during the attack, those would be the same dogs I reported to Animal Control, NOT the mirror set of phantom twins "down the street," and the owners would prosecute me the fullest extent of the law.

Same bullshit, second time around: not my dogs, not my problem. Mia survived her attack; Daisy survived her attack; and I hope I survive when it's my turn to be savaged by dogs that have NEVER left their property.

1 comment:

John said...

Again, buy a $1 plastic squirt gun and fill it with a heavy food-grade red dye. This won't hurt the animals but will last a good while (if you get the right kind; the darker the coloring the better). If there is a next time, squirt the dogs all over with the red dye.

Then, tell the AC man that the dogs with the red food dye all over them are the ones that attacked you. Since that dye will last days and possibly weeks before going away, it will be very obvious which dogs did it and which didn't.