Saturday, June 30, 2012

Bundled

When my cable bill jumped from $141.00 a month to $153.09 in June, I called to ask for an explanation. It's a service increase: the cost of service has gone up, including that long list of "nickel and dime" costs that add $15.05 in fees and taxes to my monthly bill. Basically, if I want cable there is one company that provides it in my area, so whatever they charge, I pay.

However, when July's bill arrived today and my monthly cost jumped from the $153.09 to $177.03, a price I am unwilling to pay, I called again. The explanation is that I (unknowingly) agreed to a special two-year service package that expired in June, and the price for that service package went from $128.85 to $161.98 with no changes, no upgrades, no notification. Add the taxes and fees and shazam: $177.03 per month for cable TV, the DVR box option, internet connection, and phone service.

It took 3 calls to come up with another plan that fits my budget, deletes many of the optional channels I never watch, including all of the Spanish-language options, the plethora of sports channels, and the specialized children's channels. I'm keeping the "basic" 2-99 channels in HDTV, my DVR, internet, and expanded nationwide long distance (my last service plan limited my calls to CA only), as well as all the 200 channels, and HBO and Cinemax for 3 months "free." If I forget to call TW Cable and tell them I don't want to continue with HBO and Cinemax, they become added costs to the now $126.53 (including tax/fees) service charge. I asked if I could cancel it say next week, but that's not an option because it's a "free" 3-month trial.

NOTE TO SELF: On or before September 15, 2012 I MUST call Time Warner Cable and tell them to discontinue the HBO and Cinemax "free" trial.

No comments: